Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A dependable man

Last year, a very senior bank officer Mr A came to me to show his father. His father, 96 years old, was bed ridden and had to be brought in on a wheel chair from the car to the bed in the emergency room.

After taking history and conducting a thorough examination, I suggested that even though an operation would be ideal, but considering his age and condition, I would prefer doing a small procedure which would give him considerable relief.

I just enquired as a matter of fact from Mr A " Is your father  dependant on you?"
(In India, a lot of government offices and banks reimburse the expenditure done by an official on himself and on the people financially dependant on him  such as his wife, children less than 18 yrs and the retired parents.)

Mr A almost instantaneously replied with a light smile " No doc, he is not dependant on me. I am dependant on him".

After standing speechless for few moments, the time it took me to absorb the iconic statement, I smiled back and nodded my head in agreement.

I could conclude at least one thing- a man with such ethics and character is quite dependable !


 

No comments:

Post a Comment